Sunday, March 2, 2008

Sometimes the Wind Blows

For all of you early birds, kudos for getting up and running BEFORE the winds began to blow through our area on Saturday. I got home from Massanutten in the early afternoon on Saturday. While driving, I couldn't help noticed the trees moving quite wildly outside my window. And after stopping for a quick lunch and just about getting blown over, I started getting even more depressed about my 18 miles of running I needed to get in before the days end.

Luckily it was warm outside (minus the 40 mph gusts of wind creating a lovely chill of sorts), making my marathon training duty slightly more bearable. I head out...solo...boo hoo...start the violins...for my run.
No really, it was SO windy. It about blew me down a few times...more violins please. My point is, sometimes the wind blows. Things will come up when you are just about to get that run in, whether it is a friend calling for a lunch date or you are just really tired. Maybe you just don't want to go or when you do walk out the door, it starts to sprinkle. You need to be stronger than the temptations and RUN!

With that said, let me tip my hat to Charles who ran a whoppin' 11 miles on Saturday and kept up with the core group! I remember when he just began his run clubbin' days (only a few months ago) and would worry he was "too slow" or "would never get the whole way around the lake." I believe Liz said to him, "Keep it up and it will work!" Well, baby, it is working for you! Congrats Charles!

If you want the Golden Root award, you had better get yourself to Burke Lake and soon! Not that I am encouraging you to be clumsy or careless, but we have people working really hard to get their hands on this coveted award in 2008. Just yesterday, Erin had a pretty good fall as well as Mary's friend, Noel. And my heart really goes out to Petra that twisted her ankle pretty bad at mile 2 along the Burke lake trail. With another 2.6 miles to get back to her car, she was a real trooper and made it. Unfortunately, she was attacked pretty bad by a wild and vicious ROOT and is in an air cast. Our running hearts go out to you dear Petra. And we hope for a super quick recovery and a HALF MARATHON!

I am telling every one of you that you had better run on Monday! I am talking about temps in the 60's! The same warm weather will be on tap for Tuesday as well! So let's all come out of our little warm blankies and run at the track. Tuesday night starting at 7! The weather is going to get chilly again later in the week so here is your big chance!

Saturday it is Burke Day! Come join us for a romp around the lake. I have 15, so you know where I will be! If you are planning on coming, let me know so we can know who to look for and what time! If you are a newer or slower runner, I would like to know too. Dianne, RC assistant, is there for you to take you a bit more leisurely around the lake! I plan on starting a bit earlier (as soon as it gets light...anyone know what time that is now-a-days?) and will probably just run the parking lot/street up to 123 until it hits 7.

Did you see the article in Lifetime's magazine, Experience Life, March 2008? There was a great article on page 24, The Tabata Tune-up. The say, "The Tabata Protocol isn't easy, but it can dramatically increase your aerobic and anaerobic capacity in just minutes a month." It looked like a pretty hard core workout (great on the bike or treadmill). Check it out!

This is what I know about the upcoming Shamrock race! Most people are going down on Saturday and coming home on Monday. As far as what times, I haven't heard any specifics. My guess those things will be finalized by the beginning of next week. All I do know is this race is right around the corner! Are YOU ready!?

If you have anything you would like me to post on our blog (articles, thoughts, race reports, pictures) let me know!

Running tip of the week: Save your money for the Expos at running events. You can find great bargains on fabulous running gear!

Now go and RUN!

1 comment:

Charlie Brown said...

It was tough but good. I think I'm getting there. Thanks for all the support from the Run Club!!!!