Sunday, March 9, 2008

Get Up, Get Going....

With the time springing forward this weekend, you will have more light in the evening to "get up and get going!" Where should you go, you ask? I would recommend somewhere that doesn't lead you to the refrigerator or the couch!! Why not take advantage of the perfect spring weather (not too hot, not too cold) and start running outside.

Now is the time to start building your base miles so you can easily set a goal to run a specific race, keep up with the core group at Burke, or get off some of those extra winter pounds. All it takes is getting up and getting going!

We had a super workout on Tuesday on the lovely treadmills. Thanks to Kristina, the CardiO2 coach and one of Lifetime's Personal Trainers, for letting us have a sneak peak at this great program offered at the club. Some of you kept saying during the workout that I was much easier than Kristina, well, that was a mistake (Dan). I will make sure you are hitting your self-proclaimed (zone 9) this Tuesday!

This Tuesday we are at the track. Those that are running Shamrock this weekend, should take it easy. That does not mean you shouldn't do any speed work, just not as intense or as many reps as you would normally do. The weather should be perfect for our run...and actually we might have natural light for some of it!

I am going to start advertising the upcoming spring training programs. I am currently looking at future 5k and 10k races in the area that are about 10-12 weeks away. The Beginner Level class is an 8 week program. It will prepare you to nail your first (or fastest) race! If you are interested, let me know in the next few weeks. I will also search for more half marathons, so we can have another "Next Level Challenge" program for those that want a bit more of a challenge but not as much as a marathon would entail.

Also, it is almost time to sign-up for the Marine Corp Marathon! If you are interested in joining this year's marathon training program and you want to run the MCM, the registration begins at noon on April 30th. If you prefer smaller crowds (and you are going for a Boston Qualifier), I suggest the Richmond Marathon. Either way, we will start the training programs in July for your Marathon Goals.

I thought I would let you know exactly what you will receive if you sign up for me as your coach!

1. I will meet with you one on one to discuss your past experience, your present running condition and your race goals.
2. I will give you a folder with your entire training program. I will also give you information throughout the program that you can keep in your folder as a guide for continued success.
3. If you at anytime during the training need help rearranging your workouts due to illness, family situations, vacation, injury, etc, I will coordinate those for you per your request.
4. Along with the two workouts per week (Tuesday being a workout tailored to the groups training), I am happy to run one on one with you at anytime as requested (and my schedule permits).
5. I will answer any questions and concerns via email or phone call during the course of the 18 week program.
6. I send out a weekly email, detailing your upcoming week's workouts and tips for your week.
7. I will be your biggest cheerleader throughout the entire journey. For it will be a journey with many ups and downs. You will find that many people won't "understand" the marathon journey...but I will and so will the others in the program. It will be "our" journey.

As you know, many of the Run Clubbers are racing this weekend! Let's see if I can remember everyone for a shout out!

Here are the following runners participating in the half marathon: Mary, Flossie, Don, Dianne, Petra, Lisa, Kat, Kimmy, Glenn, Dean, Jeremy, Roger, and maybe Heather

Here are the following runners participating in the full marathon: Dan A., Liz, Jann, Jodi, Cari, and maybe Heather

As far as Burke Lake on Saturday, the above people will not be there. You are still welcome and encouraged to hit the trails! If you would like to run Burke, send me an email and I will try to coordinate with others who would like to meet!

Running tips of the week (race edition):

Race day is not the day to try new shoes, eat new foods, or wear brand new clothing.
Do not try a marathon as your first race.
For races longer than 5k start out slower than you think you should.
If you conserve your energy during the first half of a race, you can finish strong.
When you pick up drinking cups at aid stations, squeeze gently so it folds slightly and is easier to drink from it while you are moving.
A plastic garbage on race day is a very fashionable cheap disposable raincoat.

Now go and Run!

Heather

No comments: