Monday, March 17, 2008

Find Your Happy Pace!

We had a Sham-rockin time this weekend at the Virginia Beach Shamrock run festival! Everyone ran a super race and had smiles on their faces as they were headed for the finish. I have proof because I saw a few of our runners really pick it up at the end and were smiling the whole way. As we were finishing, we all met in the "party" tent and had a blast talking about our racing adventures. The half marathoners were relieved to see the 30 mph winds diminish right as the gun went off at the start. Before that, as we were walking about a mile to the start, we were faced with major and quite disturbing, head winds. I was the only one who was smart or dumb enough to sport lovely brown garage bags from neck to toe. Maybe I should have put one over my head with the amount of comments that the Run Clubbers gave me! I figure they were just jealous.

The weather was perfect for the half and the race followed the flattest course I have ever run. I loved seeing all the people dressed in green and the many spirited ones so dolled up for the event. I think the biggest thrill of the race was the party tent with free beer for all runners. I of course preferred the free soup, but the band and company were fabulous!

So a huge congrats to all of the half runners: Dean Roberts, Mary Kusler (and baby), Roger Kurrus, Flossie Hoy, Dianne Boyle, Heather Porter, Jeremy Lopynski, Susan May, Jann Canestra and Don Kusler (future run clubber)!

A special shout-out to our first timers! Completing their first half marathon (13.1 miles): Lisa and Glenn Scott, Kimmy Campbell (future Run Clubber), Noelle (future run clubber), Kat Babic (future run clubber)!

Now on to our fabulous Marathoners! They started an hour after the half marathoners and unfortunately had more windy conditions than we had! Dan A. was running his third marathon in 5 months and was shooting for a big PR! Well, he did just that and ran in at a lightening speed of 4:15ish! I was thrilled to see his finish and he looked strong and ready to run another 24 miles (he will do just that later this year in the JFK 50 miler). Liz was running her first marathon and what a day she had! Jodi and Liz ran the entire race together and enjoyed every minute of it (or so I have heard). I heard that Liz commented that she couldn't wait to do another! Jodi was just as thrilled finishing her second marathon in 5 months! Cari also was there representing the Lifetime Run Club in the marathon. She also was running her second marathon in 5 months (man you guys rock)! I loved the fact that she carried her phone with her the entire race so I would call her periodically to check in. At one point, Kimmy and I were able to see her from our hotel room as she passed the 12 mile mark. We called her and told her to look up as we waved her by! We are so dang proud of all of you who trained, ran and finished!
















The next big event is the National Wirefly half marathon where we have Marguerite and Gary Adams representing our Run Club! We are so excited for both of you to have a super race! That takes place in two weeks!

After that race, it is Cherry Blossom time where many of our runners will be racing!

For those that are thinking about doing the Marine Corp Marathon this year...stop thinking and start planning on signing up for that race on April 30th. It sells out same day! If you have always wanted to run a marathon, get a Boston Qualifying time, or just want to train with on-going support, this is the race to do (or Richmond). I plan on starting this year's fall marathon training program in July. I have a lot of people who have asked me if I am planning on training this year...the answer is YES! I am predicting a large group which means constant support and training with the same program as everyone else...that means you will all be in the same boat. I have found it is much easier to train with those that are following the same program. You can relate to the same ups and downs, share in the successes and challenges, and not only will all your teammates be cheering, you have a coach that will take you the whole way (and I won't let you be a slacker!). The program is tailored to fit the needs of each runner as we all are at different levels. Let me know if you want to get on board!

We will have track practice on Tuesday at Centreville. We start right at 7. If you want to come early to do your warm-up or get extra miles, feel free.

Saturday we are back at Burke! Meet us at 7 am, 7:30 (with Dianne for those that want extra time to enjoy the view), or 8. Be sure to let me know if you are coming and what time. If the stars align, we will trying out some new areas to run. Start coming out now, so you can build your base for these longer Saturday runs. It only takes a few weeks to get there...I promise. If you need extra help, just let me know!

Tip of the Week: "Running isn't perfectly safe. But he precautions against trouble are so simple to take and the risks are so small that running should be considered no more dangerous than mowing the lawn."

No go and find your Happy Pace!

2 comments:

The Rowles said...

Girl I need to move to VA!!! I need your help. I have a good little running group here but I would sign up to be trained by you any day. It sounds so fun to be apart of such a big group. If you like flat runs think Florida. You won't find a flatter state. The highest elevation is like 300 feet. Also I really want to run the DC Marathon but I am not sure if my buddy is going to pull through and I would really like to run with someone for my first 26.2. Am I just being a baby?

Heather said...

Let's talk...cousin.