Sunday, February 17, 2008

Pull yourself together...


Yes, those are my feet. See my left ankle. No, I will not be getting the coveted golden root award (not this week) from a fall, I didn't twist it, I don't have any idea what happened. I guess I can just add it to my list of current random injuries...it is time to pull myself together. I ran four miles on Friday and afterwards noticed my achilles was sore. The next morning during my 16 mile run it continued to bother me. I then went to my basketball game (Mary, I promise I was just participating as a body...they only had four players) and it was still rather annoying as I was merely walking up and down the court. That night I decided to actually take a look at my ankle. I couldn't believe my eyes...my ankle was not only swollen but bruised.

As many of you know, I am training for the Boston Marathon. I am thrilled at the opportunity to take part in this race and it took many many miles to get there...and lots of speed work. But I am scared I might be falling apart...

My mystery ankle ailment has now been overshadowed by something new. I went to the couch to ice my ankle. After turning my neck to watch t.v., I noticed a sharp pain in my neck. I must have pinched a nerve because I have been in great pain all day and cannot turn my head. I am scared I might be falling apart...

I went to the greatest orthopedic surgeon this week that specializes in sports injuries. I had to see him about my ongoing hamstring problem. He gave me some promising news (and I will be getting a M.R.I for the area directly behind my knee). But after the ankle and neck, I am back to the idea of the possibility of falling apart...

With that being said...

I want you all to be smart about your running. Listen to your body. Become educated about injury prevention, training ideas, proper running shoes, etc. Many of you are extremely experienced but can still fall into the trap of the dear desire to run over the necessity of rest.

So this week's post is dedicated to you. Take time to listen to your body...take time to access what needs to improve or to be rested.

Is it your time to start running again? If so, start slowly. Work your way up to where you were before.

Are your running shoes still in working condition? Do they fit your running style (and I am not referring to fashion)...are you a neutral runner or over pronator etc? Shoes should only last for about 6-12 months or 300-500 miles.

Do you need to pick it up? Are you running the same route, the same pace, the same old same without seeing improvement? Change it up!

Do you need to stretch more? Try yoga. Check out the stretch guy. Read about stretching on the internet. Learn how to do it properly and effectively (by the way, my orthopedic doc told me stretching would not help my back of the knee problem...and this because he didn't think it was muscle related...).

Do you need to find out why you are experiencing pain? If that is the case, get to the doctor and get answers. If you ignore problems, they can turn into something more serious. Or you might just become overwelmed and discouraged and do nothing! Don't do that.

Pull yourself together this week. Set goals that will improve YOU! Only you can decide what is best for you.

I honestly don't know what my plan will be regarding Boston. Yesterday, I was feeling optimistic about the race. Today, I will rest. Tomorrow, I will have to just see. And each day thereafter...one workout at a time, one mile after another, and see if my body can be pulled together for this goal I am trying to accomplish...

We will be at the track. Those that are currently in the "Next Level Challenge Half and Ten Miler Training Class" will be running a 2 mile time trial so we can have a better prediction of their upcoming race finishing goals. Feel free to check out your time as well and race with us!

Saturday we are back at Burke. The times are posted on the left hand side of the blog.

Congrats to all of those runners that raced this weekend! We would love to hear all about it! Email me and I will post your fun stories!

Now go Run!

Heather

No comments: