Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy Day!

I hope you are all having a happy day! Running makes me happy. Running with Run Clubbers really makes me happy (I had to run 15 miles solo yesterday). So do Peanut Butter Cup Perfections at Coldstone bring me happiness. While on the food topic, sure, chips and guacomole also make me quite happy! Feeling rested, happiness. When my kids are all getting along, happy. If you think about it, there are many things that can bring you to your happy place. Even when things don't look so "happy," dig deep, and you can surely find a happy somewhere. We all are runners, so I figure coming and running with us, just has to bring some sort of happy vibe!

I am happy for Brad and his wife who are running their big Half/Full Marathon this weekend! They are running for a most wonderful cause, breast cancer. If you are looking for a race, pick one that benefits a super cause. How great to be a part of something bigger!

I am happy for Mary and Don who are expecting their first child! I am happy Mary's morning sickness is fading. Congrats!

I am happy for Elizabeth who didn't let scheduling conflicts get the best of her run on Tuesday night and brought her kids with her to the track. They know their mom is a RUNNER..they saw her! Maybe she will rub off on one of them and they too will catch the spirit (maybe that is what I need to do so I can get one of my kids interested in the sport).

I am happy for Liz who is training for her first full marathon. Nothing has stopped her, not achilles pain, preparing for a new job, weather...NOTHING!

I am happy that Petra has been hitting some massive mileage records for herself. Not only is she running the distance, she is getting faster!

I know many more of you are happy! If you will, share your happy moment in the comment section of this post. That way we can all feel a bit more happiness sharing in yours! (it is very easy to add comments...just register on blogger)

Run Club:

I have posted our regular meeting times at the top right hand side of the blog. It will remain a constant unless you hear otherwise from me. Once the weather gets a bit warmer and we are cutting back a little bit on our mileage, I would like to have a group run at Bull Run. There are some fab trails I am sure many of you would enjoy.

Feel free to email me with your favorite races! I would love to add them to our Run Club Favs list on the side of our blog.

Running Motivation of the week:

I AM NOT A JOGGER

I may waddle when I run, but I'm running all the sameBy John Bingham

PUBLISHED 09/19/2007

The late Dr. George Sheehan, beloved Runner's World columnist and arguably the first running boom's premier philosopher, once wrote that the difference between a runner and a jogger was a signature on a race application. (For the youngsters out there, there was a time before online registration when you actually filled out a paper application, signed it, attached a check, and mailed it in. Quaint, I know.) As succinct as Dr. Sheehan's definition was, it made the point. If you were motivated enough to train for and participate in an organized running event, then you were a runner. Anyone willing to risk public failure in order to be a part of the running community--no matter what his or her pace per mile might be--was a runner. Period. Kind of hard for anyone to argue with that logic.But a few months ago, an ad ran in this magazine that drew a very hard line between runners and joggers. I immediately heard from tons of readers who were upset by the distinction. To me, however, such definitions are meaningless, since those of us who call ourselves runners already know why we call ourselves runners. Your reasons may be different from mine, but here's why I know I am a runner:

I AM A RUNNER because my runs have names. I do tempo runs and threshold runs and fartlek runs. I do long, slow runs and track workouts. My runs are defined, even if my abs are not.

I AM A RUNNER because my shoes are training equipment, not a fashion statement. The best shoe for me is the one that makes me a better runner. I choose the shoe that goes with my running mechanics, not my running outfit.

I AM A RUNNER because I don't have running outfits. I have technical shirts and shorts and socks. I have apparel that enhances the experience of running by allowing me to run comfortably. I can say "Coolmax" and "Gore-Tex" in the same sentence and know which does what.

I AM A RUNNER because I know what effort feels like, and I embrace it. I know when I'm pushing the limits of my comfort and why I'm doing it. I know that heavy breathing and an accelerated heart rate--things I once avoided--are necessary if I want to be a better runner.

I AM A RUNNER because I value and respect my body. It will whisper to me when I've done too much. And if I choose to listen to that whisper, my body won't have to scream in pain later on.

I AM A RUNNER because I am willing to lay it all on the line. I know that every finish line has the potential to lift my spirits to new highs or devastate me, yet I line up anyway.

I AM A RUNNER because I know that despite my best efforts, I will always want more from myself. I will always want to know my limits so that I can exceed them.

I AM A RUNNER because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far.

I AM A RUNNER because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not.

Waddle on, friends.

Heather

2 comments:

Roger said...

Isn't this fun! I have a blog on Horseplayer.com and now this!

Just being able to get out and run makes me happy after 30+ years of it. It's a wonder I have any cartilage left in my knees at all. I attribute my longevity to some degree on using orthotics for most of that time. In addition to addressing problems, they are a great protection against many running injuries.

George Sheehan was a remarkable guy. I've read about everything he wrote. As the guru in the days when running and road racing in particular were exploding, people hung on his words. He used to say that when people asked him what he was he would say, along with physician, father and whatever else, that he was a Runner. It was part of how he defined himself. For those not aware, he died in his 60's of prostate cancer.

Shawni said...

Man oh man, not only do you have a blog, but you have a SECOND blog. Now that's impressive. And you may have even convinced me that some day I may be able to break my one-mile-run-barrier! Dave and I went to the gym at 5:15 this morning...maybe my bad run was because I was still in a dream zone. I'm such a wimp. Anyway, good job on the blogging!