Saturday, May 3, 2008

Cross Train Pain

As many of you know, I am addicted to running. Don't deny it, I know you are too! Anyway, after the Boston Marathon two weeks ago, I took a week off to recover (that is a long time for me). My heel has been hurting a great deal (more than ever...I have been dealing with PF for years now) and after an easy 3 mile run this week, I had to turn back to home due to this heel pain. It has not gotten any better (and I repeat, I have only run that one, 3 miler in 14 days) even with stretching, icing and no high impact exercising.

I went to the doctor finally yesterday cause things just didn't seem right and he thinks it might be a stress fracture! I will be looking into that possibility this week. In the mean time, I have to stay off it as much as possible and participate in my all time favorite back up (not!) CROSS TRAINING activities! Anyone spinning this week?! Anyone swimming?! Let me know and I will join you.

Because of doctor's orders, I will not be at Run Club for the next few weeks. Dianne has things completely under control. If you have any questions about this week's runs...let me know.

Tuesday we will be meeting at Centreville Track at 7 pm.
Saturday we will be at Burke at 7 am/8am.

Our dear Mary fell at Burke today. She is currently carrying precious cargo so she decided to get checked out at the hospital. She wanted to let everyone know that she and baby boy Kusler are doing just fine. She doesn't have to give up her crazy addiction but needs to stay clear of trails that have snakes, roots and other threatening conditions (I think we are all considered non-threatening). Thank you to Flossie, Joel, Dianne and Dan for their support during the ordeal.

Wanna Race? Did you sign up for the Marine Corp Marathon?! Too long of distance? They have just reopened the Marine Corp Half marathon for more runners (it is in mid May). Too long still? How about Life Time's Run Wild 5k at Bull Run Park?! It is on Mother's Day morning...a beautiful race for all abilities and all ages! There is the Spine 4 miler as well. If you want any details about these races...just shoot me an email (heytar@comcast.net).

Wanna Learn More?

A great opportunity for all RUNNERS!
Beginners, Experts, Triathletes, Adventure Racers, Endurance Athletes
Want a faster time? Want to be injury free? Want to be stronger? Want to run longer distances? Want a better running technique?

Saturday, May 10th from 9-11am, Coach Al Lyman from Connecticut will be giving a Running Clinic at the Virginia Run Clubhouse in Centreville, VA. The clinic is for all types of runners.

What is it? The clinic will cover the basic elements of good running form and technique, as well as how Functional and Core Strength and Hip Mobility and Elasticity play a critical role in achieving powerful, fast, injury-free running. As time allows, Coach Al will give recommendations for optimal warm-up drills, flexibility training, and running-specific functional and core strength exercises from his program, Runner-CORE (http://runner-core.com ). Coach Al is a coach and presenter on a national level. He is very forward thinking in regards to running technique; and is a former 2:30 marathoner. His story is interesting in that when he started running he couldn’t complete a mile. He ended up completing 19 consecutive marathons in sub 3 hours! He believes if you fix your hip range and core strength, the run technique will follow.

Following are comments made by Vinu Malik – President / Founder & CEO Fuelbelt - after attending a clinic with Coach Al. Vinu is a 25x Ironman with a number of Kona appearances via qualification – not the corporate route! His remarks:

"Al is an outstanding resource and you would really be missing out if you don't take advantage of this opportunity. He's helped me figure out my recent injury which kept me on the sidelines at Boston this year. The good news is that the same constructive advice will be applied to my training program with a firm goal of qualifying for Hawaii. If you have the time, be there. It is time well spent." --- VinuVinu Malik President & Founder Fuel Belt, Inc.

Clinic fee is only $35 and participation is limited to 35 people. Proceeds from the clinic will benefit Virginia Special Olympics
Please email: lj@finswheelsfeet.com to reserve your space.

Wanna Bike?

Roger and friends are organizing a Memorial Day bike ride on the WO&D trail. For more information, email me and I will forward to Roger.

Running tip of the Week:

"You can't run hard and fast until you can run easy and slow. Always be sure you can run a distance easily before you think about racing it."

Now Go and RUN (wish I could)!

Heather

No comments: