Sunday, April 13, 2008

Roses and Thorns Grow Together

I thought I would share one of my favorite little quotes to start out this week's post:

"Don't complain that rose bushes have thorns. Rejoice that thorn bushes have ROSES!"

Seems like life gives us all some pretty sticky thorns now and then. I know many of you have had some pretty tough trials this past year. Whether you have struggled with large scale obstacles or just small things that give you moments of despair, try to find your rose amongst your thorns.

I had some friends run the Bull Run 50 miler yesterday. For two of them, it was their first try at attempting this feat! I talked to both today and what great stories of triumph and trial! One struggled to complete the entire 50 miles of hilly, muddy, and hot trails finishing just over 11 hours (he has run over 15 marathons and has a PR of 3:04) and the other who is a multiple Ironman finisher was unable to finish after 45 miles and dropped out of the race. Why do I share this? To encourage you to set higher goals for yourself! And even though there might be some thorns thrown in along the way...it is the journey that matters and the roses, no matter how small. Don't be afraid to set the goal with worries of failure. It is the attempt that matters most. If you never try, you will never gain the reward...and sometimes the attempt is the reward!

Okay, on to this week's workouts!

Tuesday we are back running the path along Union Mill. We will start running promptly at 7 pm to beat the darkness. Please meet us in the parking lot at Centreville High School. We usually get in around 5 miles.

Saturday we will be meeting at Burke Lake Park Marina at 7 am/8am. I will not be there this week due to my departure for BOSTON! We have all levels/speeds of runners that participate on these long runs, so don't despair...get up and get moving on Saturday morning and join us! By the way, I saw a turtle and a baby snake on Saturday (Flossie informed me after I jumped over the snake that they can be much more venomous as infants)...does this information scare you? Sorry.

Good luck to Dan B. and Heather Porter (hey that's me) on Monday, April 21st! They are both participating in the 112th Boston Marathon. I am so excited for this experience! I can't wait to share all the details on my next post.

Congrats to Brad who ran a super fast 5k last weekend! He mentioned another great race that will take place in the beginning of May (a Saturday) in Winchester. The Apple Blossom 10k race precedes a super fun festival/parade!

Greg showed me this great race as well: http://www.runwashington.com/other/alternative06info.html if anyone is interested! It looks like it is for a fab cause and takes place right in our backyard!

Dianne shared this recipe with me. If anyone would like to try it, let us know! We have both tried it numerous time and man it is good!

Recipe for a Marathoner

1 part Athlete
1 part Dedication
2 parts Sheer Will
2 parts Heart
Add a dash of Insanity (or 2)
Combine all ingredients and Shake for 26.2 miles!

Repeat as often as necessary

My next post will be on Tuesday! We will have run club on April 22nd!

Now go and RUN!

Heather

1 comment:

The Rowles said...

Good luck Heather I will be thinking of you!!!!!